Friday, November 05, 2004

Early november roundup

Disclaimer to my vast swatches of American readers: Obviously, you are not included in the upcoming post. I know there are a lot of very hip, intelligent people down there... you just seem to be outnumbered right now.

To start with: I am truly surprised that the US wants George W Bush to keep sleeping in the white house for another 4 years. I always knew he had supporters, and I always knew that he could win the election, but I really never thought he would.

This result makes me realize that my opinion of the American public isn't true. I thought they realized what a doofus he is, and that he's done nothing, nothing, to merit another 4 years in office. I thought they understood that the issues facing the nation are what should determine the nation's captain, not his family values. Strong moral fiber in a leader is important, but I would never poll that 'values' was the issue that determined my vote (like exit polls on tuesday indicate determined the lion's share of votes). Even if it were a referendum on religoius/family values, which positive values does Bush represent? Is he a good christian? Does he believe in equality? Neither. Yet he's the captain of choice.

This leaves only one possibility, the average American must believe in the same bullshit version of religion that Bush practices. They must truly believe that two women kissing is more dangerous to their freedom than brutally torturing and humiliating POW's. I find it scary enough that one person (GWB himself) believes all that rubbish, I am stunned that the majority of American agree with him. It's true, only 51% fit this bill, but that's a majority, and it's a helluva lot more than I would have liked to believe.

IN OTHER NEWS:

It's midterm time here in Cam-ville, and what a week it's been. Election issues aside, I had 3 job interviews this week. After discovering that it really is hard to find a job here in London, I've finally landed one, and have at least 2 other great opportunities on the burner. Wouldn't you know it, the very night before my interview for a bartending spot at a classy London steakhouse, I get the first boil of my life. I haven't had a pimple in years, and on the day when my presentability is most important, I've got half a shiny, fire-engine red golfball growing from the side of my neck (right above the collar, of course).

The interviews went fine & I think I'll get the job, but the antibiotics the MD put me on to save me from the scalpel hit me with a healthy dose of side-effects. I've taken this antibiotic before & noticed no effects at all, but this time it floored me with an array of gastro-intestinal disasters I won't further describe. Suffice to say, I didn't write me scheduled exam today, & will write it next week instead. One 4-hour exam on Saturday (!?) to go & one of the longest weeks of 2004 will be over.