Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The Greatest Canadian

The talk of the domestic blogosphere lately has definetly been the CBC's new miniseries on who 'the greatest Canadian' is. Regardless of whether or not trying to name a single best Canadian is a stupid idea to begin with, I think what's not stupid about the whole procedure is that Canadian citizens are spending time thinking about what kind of person the greatest Canadian would be, and what kind of qualities would make him or her great.

As much as I think Dr. Banting and Alexander Graham Bell were great scientists, and made massive contributions to humanity, they don't qualify as 'greatest Canadian' material for me. To me, these two bring what is wonderful about biochemistry, or engineering, not about what is wonderful about Canada in particular. Also, if CBC insists on having somebody from Hockey Night in Canada on their top 10, Ron Maclean would have the reasonable choice. I love Cherry, but honestly. Honestly.

To me, the greatest Canadian is an epitomy of what is great about Canada and Canadians. As much as the nation determines it's greatest, the greatest must have contributed significantly to exactly those characteristics that make Canada great. I could narrow my list down to five Canadians, but I'd have a tough time going any further:

Tommy Douglas
Pierre Trudeau
Lester Pearson
Terry Fox
David Suzuki

I think the first four speak for themselves. As for David Suzuki, I think he belongs on the list, despite what I think a lot of Canadians think of him. To me, he's nearly the personification of my ideal Canada. Over the last twenty years, Suzuki's continuous efforts to make Canadians aware of the sustainability of our society, and of the environmental responsibility we all have has been a great contribution to making Canada the progressive thinking nation I believe we are. I think he's earned his way on there. As Matt points out, since he's still alive it might be premature to call Suzuki the greatest. We may find out in 5 years time that he drives an Escalade, guzzles JD and clubs baby seals, which would severely damage his reputation. I for one, am confident that this won't happen.

The odds seem to be on Terry Fox to win. I think he's very deserving, but if I had to choose I'd vote for Pearson.