Monday, October 25, 2004

This week in Cameron

A busy week has kept me pretty much entirely away from blogging & anything else not school or work related. The impoverished student life is getting pretty old, so I've been looking pretty hard the last couple of weeks for work, but haven't had any luck yet. In this city of 375 000 people, I haven't found a single restaurant who's hiring.

One tidbit of "news" that caught my eye is that Ashlee Vanilli er, Simpson, was holding her microphone at her waist at an SNL performance when the audience mysteriously heard her start singing the song. Her story is that a full recording of her song was played by mistake, instead of the pre-recorded percussion track. I for one don't buy it, but I'm oh so glad it happened!

This is such great material for people like me who love to see celebrities' bullshit catch up with them. To me, this is so synonymous with pop culture. Jessica Simpson gets her little sis into the music biz because little Simpson is the sister of a famous singer, and somehow because of this, her credibility with her autience goes up by an order of magnitude. I think I was asleep when a person's credibility began coming from MTV, YM, and People Magazine.

The beauty of all this is that reality finally comes through in such a perfect, public way. The reality is that the way little Simpson got into the business reduces her credibility with me by about ten orders of magnitude. The fact that this is even a pop issue is that pop issues are so totally skewed to begin with. You and I can see this coming from the start. You and I aren't surprised by this. You and I are able to see the irony. These sweet moments of truth are almost worth the whole teeny bopper culture. I say almost, because then I remember that the Simpsons are multi-millionaires. Then I cry.