Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Pre-emptive reminiscence

Maybe I'm overdramatizing the moment, but tomorrow is going to be a turning point in US history. Regardless of who you support, Bush and Kerry represent two very different paths for the US to follow, and for better or worse, the American people will choose one tomorrow. Actually, it's quite possible the supreme court will be the ones doing the choosing, but let me be optimistic this year. I hope four years from now America (and the world) can look back at this election with satisfaction, not regret.

Sometimes I wonder why Canadian politics, while interesting, doesn't seem to have the same drama that US politics does... especially in 2004. I think it's in part because there are so many more voices in the Canadian system that it lacks that head-to-head showdown feel this US election has. The two party system in the US makes the election look a lot more like a game of gridiron football. If the election fell on a monday, having John Madden cover the results would make for good viewing.

What I think is the other main factor, also reflects on what a particularly important election this may be. Listening to the most recent Canadian political debates, I decided which candidate I thought was best. Although I didn't think all the ideas were equal, I didn't question that each candidate had my best interest in mind. Thats usually the case, but this time around, a lot of people question whether or not Bush really has the best interest of Americans in mind. I've got no doubt that he truly loves America the nation, but I'm not so sure he loves America the population with the same fervor. Rather than choosing between the greater of two goods, this election is being painted as good v. evil even more than it usually is.

You all know who I'm rooting for, but this race really does seem too close to call. Tomorrow should be exciting (too bad I'm in class 7-10pm).