Saturday, October 02, 2004

Turning the tables

Tomorrow morning I start intramural soccer here at school & I'm pretty pumped about it. We practiced together last week & I discovered I'm in a bit of an awkward situation not like one I can remember ever having been in.

Not knowing a team I could play with, I registered as a free agent & was drafted this week... by the Vientamese Club. My name's Cameron Smith... about as white as it gets, so I can't explain why the VC decided to draft me. Anyhow, its wierd to be part of a group in which you're the drastic ethnic minority, are speaking a different language (some of the time), but are still in your home. I expect to feel this way when I travel abroad, but still being at home it's an especially awkard to be the outsider all of a sudden. Also, being a young, white, middle class male I'm pretty used to being in the majority wherever I travel inside Canada.

It's good to have a wake-up call once in a while to bump you outside your comfort zone. I think I'd probably benefit big-time from being shoved into a spot like this on a daily basis.