Sunday, September 26, 2004

I think we've been here before

I've been wondering for quite a while about what's really going on in Iraq right now. When the war in Iraq began I knew what American soldiers were fighting for: to capture the Iraqi oil fields... I mean dictator.

Now that the target has been captured, things are different and I'm not too sure what it is troops are fighting for over there anymore. On top of that, young kids seem to be getting sent home in bodybags at an ever increasing rate, which seems counterintuitive to me.

This article in the star painted a picture that I'd somehow always expected to be pretty close to the truth. What is being accomplished in the middle east that requires the generation of 30 to 55 wounded soldiers per day... per medical centre?? I don't know... it's not a rhetorical question so if you know, please email me.

While we're at it, another stunning example of the logic behind these wartime decisions (I believe it was David Cross who made this observation) involves the US calling a portion of their retired military band back into service. They were one of several groups called out of retirement, but the musicians were needed because the army was sending too many bodybags back and didn't have enough musicians to play at all the military funerals.

To clarify. Imagine one government official reading his war statistics and he realizes that the army's taking huge numbers of casualties in Iraq, and can't even give these shiploads of dead kids proper funerals because the whole band is already committed... at other funerals! He thinks for a second & says out loud: "We're gonna have to hire more musicians." It's a funny image, but the reality of the situation is not so funny.

At this point I think the US has pretty much two options: stay in Iraq indefinetly, or pull out asap. Anything in between is probably just going to waste lives & money. The first is a totally unreasonable and unconstitutional situation I think, and the second basically puts us back to where we were after Bush 1 left Iraq. The difference being that the country is now in a deeper state of chaos, and is filled with more new, young, ambitious terrorists. John Kerry's going to have a big hole to dig out of.