Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Retraction & Velocity

Okay, so I wasn't back for real last time. I seriously overestimated the spare time 2K5 would afford me, but now I've got a whole new motivation for my resurrection. I'll start at the beginning.

I took a hiatus in 2004 from resistance training in favor of a more endurance oriented style of activity. About four weeks ago I finally returned to the gym & I've begun soaking up training info as quickly as ever. Most of the researching I've done has been related to how exercise and nutrition affect my metabolism (and vice versa). Cutting to the end of that chapter, I came across something known as 'The Velocity Diet' conconted by T-Mag contributor Chris Shugart.

Essentially velocity involves stripping one's diet down to only the nutrients essential to maintaining proper health and metabolic functioning. Chris' original diet was essentially a liquid diet. It was virtually 100% supplement based and involved only one solid meal weekly (oatmeal & berries) over four weeks. Four weeks, four solid meals.

How did it work? From his testimony it worked fabulously. Chris melted away fat at more than twice what is predicted to be possible whilst maintaining lean body mass and metabolic rate. I've decided I've started too many bad habits lately and I've had it too easy. To boot, I love a challenge! So I've decided to undertake the four week torture session known as Velocity.

I've modified the diet somewhat to ensure I conver all my nurtitional bases. I'm still sticking with Chris' framework, but adding a few noncaloric nutrient sources, and one egg daily just to put my mind at ease.

In my next post I'll outline exactly what I'll be eating over the course of these four weeks. Afterwards I'll be posting updates on how I'm progressing day to day for the duration of the diet. Personally, I can't wait! The start date is Mon 21 Feb 2004. Synchronize your watches people, and check back for more info. I think it's gonna be great!