Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Dirty rotten scoundrels

Lately, when I watch my Sportsnet for my hockey lockout news (or lack thereof) I hear about more & more players realizing their season is pooched an leaving to play in Europe for a year. Somehow, the players have found a way to demonstrate their greed and short-sightedness in even more blatant ways.

At first I thought it was great that players were leaving to play elsewhere. They were showing their distaste for the dispute and leaving to do what was important: play hockey. But then I realized that they weren't leaving the situation. The NHL-ers playing in Europe have got two active contracts (some more active than others)... they're still obligated to their North American clubs. In order to stay in shape for next year, they're putting European hockey players in unemployment lines.

Granted, the best hockey player gets the job, but I think it's unfair for Joe Thornton to be occupying two contracts in a limited job market, regardless of how talented he is. It would be fine if he quit the Bruins to take his spot in Europe & saw out his contract with his new European club. In reality, we all know which contract he'll breach when the NHL gets itself sorted out & he's got to make a choice.

Again, 'what suits me best right now' has been reinforced as the mantra of the NHLer.