Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Can't we all be friends?

For every person you speak to and for every news article you read, you will likely find a differnet take on Canada's current health care summit, and the problems it needs to address. As Matt F points out, each of these arguments seems valid on the surface, backed up by reasonable figures and (usually) sensible ideas.

What's a citizen to do then, when faced with contentions that (a) Lack of federal funding is the problem (b) Lack of federal funding is not the problem? What if both arguments seem true?

I think the reality of the matter is that most of the arguments we hear from experts are true. More federal funding would probably help our health care a lot, but it certainly won't solve all our problems. Our health care has a lot of issues; thus, there are a lot of approaches which will be beneficial.

What we (that means you bureaucrats too!) tend to forget is that every person at the health care summit genuinely wants to make Canada a better place. Whether it's the premiers or the PM, I'm willing to bet that any one of their ideas would improve my health care, if only they could implement it. I would love to see Canada elect a group of officials who would act like adults , and put the good of the nation before their own egos. "This isn't my idea for health care reform, but goddamit its going to make Canada a better place so lets get to it!"

Maybe its naive of me to think that would be good for the nation, but wouldn't it be great to see our so called leaders rallying together... all for you! Plus, I prefer that type of naivete to the kind of cynicism I currently suffer from, which makes me believe that we will achieve absolutely nil at this summit.