Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Say it ain't so Wayne

I think this whole Rick Tocchet gambling ring issue has gotten a little out of hand (in Canada anyhow).

I'm no lawyer & I don't think all the information that will determine the legality of this ortanization has come out yet. However, most of the articles & reports I've seen haven't been forcusing on the legality of the issue but the morality of it. Athletes shouldn't be gambling because it brings the sport into disrepute. Illegal gambling goes on all the time & is being uncovered all the time; it's the fact that athetes are gambling that makes this situation newsworthy.

If the hockey players involved have been gambling on NHL hockey, then they are certainly in the wrong, and are certainly bringing the integrity of the league, the sport, and their reputations into question. However, there doesn't seem to be any indication yet that any hockey bets were placed. I don't think involvement in the NHL gives a person any moral obligation not to gamble on the NFL, or MLS or any other non-hockey sports league.

I think the potential involvement of Wayne Gretzkey adds an extra emotional component for us Canadians. He's such an icon, and on such a pedestal that we hold The Great One to moral standards much higher than your average Canadian. We can't stand the idea that Wayne might be involved in some questionable activities. We make a moral judgement on the whole issue based on our perceptions & desires of Mr Gretzkey.

I love Wayne & I hope I can maintain my shining perception of him after this whole debacle is resolved, but I try not to judge him, nor the rest of those implicated, unfairly. The legality of the whole situation will come out in the courts, and as far as I'm concerned, as long as they've kept their hands off hockey, Tocchet & co. can have one less thing on their consciences.