Thursday, November 09, 2006

Kissing hands and Shaking babies









Municipal elections are fast approaching here in London, and candidates are turning up the heat in their campaigns. After classes today, I got out for a quick bike ride, and on two separate city corners, I came across throngs of sign-waving supporters. More surprisingly, the actual candidates were with them on the street corner, petitioning Londoners for their votes.

It's been said many times that actions speak louder than words, probably because it's true. Nothing a candidate can say on the radio or television will convince me that he/she cares about London (or wherever) more than coming and speaking with the public.

Howard Dean said on last night's Daily Show that he attributed part of the Democrat's success in the recent Mid-terms because they went to classically 'red' states and agressively campaigned for votes. They went out into Republican territory and asked people to vote for them. To get out of the office and into the community, particularly into a community that's unsupportive, I think shows tremendous respect for the voting public, and says to me that "this candidate understands that her power comes from the people".

When I see politicians pounding the pavement it reminds me of the above photo of Adlai Stephenson, and how he wore through the soles of his shoes along the campaign trail. I rarely see in politicians today, the humility and determination that I see in that photo. I'd be glad if I would see it more often.